Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Jahangira - Bihar's Little Known Buddhist Heritage

Today, browsing through the famous Buddhist news site 'The Buddhist Channel', I came across this piece of article that compelled me to think about the number of historical sites about which we know very little.

This site close to the the town of Sultanganj in Bihar is known as Jahangira and is an island. It is well known amongst the local people for its Ajgaibinath Temple. The boulders that make up the island have some worthseeing sculptures. The Buddhist sculptures that can be seen here include a 1.5 m statue of lord Buddha which is quiet similar to the one found in Sarnath. There is also an image of Tara with a lotus in hand, however, it is not in a good condition.

Like me, I know there are a number of people who do not know much about the site but are keen to gather more information. If you want to read more on this topic, you can visit Jahangira: The forgotten temple.

2 comments:

Abe said...

Namaste.

what a great blog!

I hope you keep on posting.

They call him James Ure said...

I would love to spend 6 months traveling around the world visiting all these sites.